Monday, January 9, 2012

Campus layers.


Today I made my first appearance on campus in weeks. I find that dressing for campus as an older student can be tricky. I usually want to appear causal, relaxed, youthful, serious, smart, and still age appropriate all at once. This combination of layered colored T's and swingy cardigan is one that I've worn a lot before because I feel that it manages to walk the line between casual student and serious adult. I don't want to look out of place, but I also don't want to look like I'm trying too hard to look like a kid, and I still want to feel that I look like myself. It can be a complicated business figuring out what I can wear that accomplishes all these things simultaneously. I think this outfit does everything I want so on school days when don't want to worry about whether what I've chosen works or not I often fall back on this outfit.


I often use this plain grey sweater as a canvas for displaying one or more of the pins from my ever growing collection. You can see some examples here and here. (If you click through you'll notice it's the exact same outfit with different pins and shoes- I was not lying when I said I wear this combo a lot.) Instead of a pin today I accessorized with a Bakelite dress clip. This poor dress clip has been trying to get itself worn for weeks but I kept trying it and rejecting it with outfit after outfit. Today it finally got to stay put and enjoy it's moment in the sun, and on the blog.


I'm linking to Visible Monday at Not Dead Yet Style and Trending Through the Decades at Silverstyle.

7 comments:

  1. Love the layering, but I like you better with skirts and dresses.
    Good luck with your firts day back.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for you, back on campus. You look great in these colors, and your dress clip is the perfect addition. Thanks so much for linking up to Visible Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about wanting to dress youthfully but not look silly or like you're trying to hard. I think you look effortylessly stylish doll! Love the little bakelite clippy too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you have accomplished your goal of dressing in a hip ageless outfit. I too want that same look-not frumpy, not-juvenile, not-too girly, I what to be taken seriously but not so seriously that I become unapproachable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Margaret,
    Thank you for following :)
    I like the outfit for going to school - and I specially like the bakelite leaf pin and where you placed it.
    You know, you actually got me thinking - because I am going back to school next week - and now you have me wondering what I will wear on my first day of school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sacramento,
    Thanks. I do agree. I like myself better in skirts and dresses too, but I'm a student on a very casual campus. Sometimes I don't want to look too different from everyone else. Especially on days like yesterday- it was the first meeting of a writing class in another department so I was meeting new people and I just wanted to fit in and feel comfortable. Sometimes I worry when I am more dressed up than most people at school that they think, "who does she think she is?" and they won't want to work with me. Maybe this is my own paranoia but I don't want to put people off by dressing inappropriately for the classroom.

    AB FAB team,
    Thanks. I'll check it out.

    Patti,
    Thanks. And as always thanks for hosting Visible Monday.

    Lisa Shayla,
    Thanks. That's just what I was shooting for. I appreciate your compliments.

    Adrienne,
    Thanks. I'm glad you think I hit all the right notes. I think you're doing an awesome job in the style balancing act too.

    Lorena,
    Thanks to you. I'm looking forward to seeing what you wear for your first day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely lovely campus look you're rocking here.

    ReplyDelete