It's been a killer holiday season. And not killer in the eighties rocker killer equals awesome sense. I had every intention of blogging right through the parties and the visiting and the vacation. It didn't happen. Even though I always think that being away form home, in novel locations, will mean that I can take interesting, even artsy, location/outfit photos, it just never works out. First, I'm too much of a habit loving creature. Without a regular schedule I'm all at sea. Strange sleeping arrangements, shared bathrooms, limited mirror access- it all throws me off my game. Even at my mother's house, which I called home for years, and where we stay at least once a month, I'm still often out of sorts. And then there's the suitcase limitations. Even with very careful planning what I bring with me is never exactly what I want to wear when I'm there. Without the ability to return to my closet multiple times to fine tune an outfit I feel as if I've had to settle for the sartorially substandard. Finally, the timing never seems to to lend itself well to outfit photo taking. And making everyone wait while I have my picture taken in something I'm not really happy to be wearing anyway? Well, it just doesn't make sense.
Chris and I were supposed to spend New Year's Eve and the first few days of the year with friends in Denver, CO. We had prepared for this trip well, purchasing snow boots and wool underclothes and socks, a new down coat for me, and some high tech snow pants for Chris. We were unfortunately grounded by a painful, but not life threatening, medical emergency. Chris is fine and we managed to cancel our plans without taking a huge hit financially, so all's well that ends well, but we are all kitted out for the snow and really anxious to make a trip to the snow, any snow, sometime soon.
On a more positive note, Chris felt well enough on New Year's Eve to attempt a festive dinner at our favorite local restaurant. He probably wasn't really well enough and he felt pretty crappy the whole time, poor guy. But I felt great! Especially after being told by the woman dining at the next table that I looked terrific and was the best dressed woman in the (very crowded) restaurant. I've got to admit the competition wasn't fierce, it was actually a bit tragic how under-dressed most of the other patrons were, considering the occasion. I, myself, seize any opportunity to get dressed up. You'll have to take my word on the outfit as there are, sadly, no pictures. But the compliment was lovely.
Finally getting back online to discover I've received an award!
How sweet is that? (I wore hearts today to coordinate.) The ever sassy Wendy of Simply Sassy nominated me. As it's designed to be given to bloggers with fewer than 200 followers I guess you could think of it as kind of an emerging blogger award. It not only made my day, it sort of kick started my year, encouraging me to post today and get back in the swing of things. And pass along the love.
This award is given to bloggers with fewer than 200 followers by other bloggers.The rules for accepting the award and posting the widget are to:
- Link back to the giver and express your heartfelt, undying gratitude. : )
- Pass it to five more bloggers, letting them know it’s been given.
- Copy and paste said award to your blog.
- Keep the love flowing. They’ll tell five friends, and they’ll tell five friends, and…so on…
1. Becky of Becky Lee Dreams: I'm constantly inspired by this amazing young woman. She's fearless with her fashion and her blog is a beautiful compilation of snapshot glimpses into a life rich with purpose and promise, full of fun, fashion, food, friends and urban container gardens.
2. Lisa of Dreamz-n-Wishz: You would not believe the thrifting powers this woman possesses. Every time I read a new post on her blog its all I can do not to leap in my car and race to the local thrift store in a vain attempt to keep up. She puts together a constant parade of smashing outfits- always accessorized with one of the most gorgeous smiles ever.
3. Adrienne of Wear the Hat: One seriously stylish lady who also happens to be a milliner. Her blog is wonderfully analytical and her analysis is always spot on. And there are often hats! There can never be too many hats.
4. Brett of Silvergirl: The most adorable bangs you've ever seen. Bar none. And this woman can work the model-style blog poses without looking the least bit silly. And she can rock a pair of cowboy boots like nobody's business. I'm a little bit in awe, to tell the truth.
5. D'Andra of Sable & Sage: D'Andra always manages to look amazing, even while working in a lab which, I gather from her posts, is not especially conducive to stylish dressing. She's an exemplary inspiration to dress for yourself first and your situation second.
Oh, and finally, this is what I wore today. I didn't notice the damn grease stain, or whatever that spot is, on the leg of my jeans until I started posting the photos. I really should say something about this outfit but I feel like I've been typing for days. It's midnight now, and I'm off to try and get the blasted spot out of my pants. I'm not even ready for tomorrow yet, let alone a whole year of tomorrows.