Monday, April 23, 2012

Was it better in real life?


Every so often there's an outfit of which it seems impossible to take a bad photo. I'll start going through the shots and I'll have fifteen, maybe even twenty, pictures that I'd be willing to share online. In those magical outfits even a good number of the dreaded side shots will look great. Other days I'll have a perfectly good day wearing an outfit and feel quite pleased with how I've put myself together until I have a spare moment to view the morning's photos and realize that, at least in pictures, the ensemble isn't the home run I thought it was.


This is one of those outfits that I thought looked terrific but didn't photograph as well as I was expecting.  I'm not saying it's awful. I just was anticipating being thrilled with the pictures and I could only find a couple that I liked well enough to post. And the dreaded side shots were the worst!


I thought I looked pretty shapely and curvy in real life but in the photos I seem thick and blocky. Which begs the question, "Where does the truth reside?" Are these disappointing photos more real than how I actually felt actually wearing the actual clothes? Is it possible that this outfit looked better in real life? Or am I kidding myself?

6 comments:

  1. I had on an outfit all day Saturday in which I felt like a million bucks. I didn't take my photos until evening...and I looked terrible by then. I decided against posting my photos on the blog...because I was asking myself that very question. I would love to believe that how I felt was the important thing, but, alas, I have more vanity than I admit to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you shine in this outfit, and if you're taking votes, I'd say you're looking shapely and curvy, definitely! The very best thing that can happen is when you put something on and thing, meh, and then go out and feel great. I think it has something to do with the barometric pressure! On the flip side, I also have days where I feel great but catch myself in reflection and gasp, "What was I thinking?!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my opinion the outfit looks great also in the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this outift looks incredible on you! I Love the cut & colour of that jacket, those pants fit you beautifully & I really like the striped tee too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a flirty quality to this outfit that I love. The colors are flattering and the pants have very interesting details. I think this is a winner!
    There is something about photographs that flatten you out and does something to the proportions that throw stuff off. I often have this experience. Can't predict which outfits will do this. I worked with a young lady that photographed really really well but in real life wasn't that hot so it can work in reverse... I have decided to stop worrying about it. It is what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do this, too. I'd started taking photos of my outfits, thinking I'd get a better idea of what works and what doesn't.

    But I've *stopped* doing the photos cuz they're too depressing. Too many times something that I *know* I look stunning in, comes out in the photo looking terrible.

    I don't know what it is. Maybe the photo doesn't show my sparkling personality. :) Or it's the angle. Or something. I end up thinking that I don't look good in *anything*! And who needs that thought?!

    ReplyDelete