Tuesday, January 18, 2011

This is harder than it looks.


I had planned to enter my first blog post on January 1st. I even wrote my first post that day. Chris proofread the post I had planned and remarked that he thought I sounded too self-deprecating and insecure. That insecurity is something I’m actively trying to fight- and this blog is part of that- so I went back to the drawing board. And came up with nothing for weeks; nothing to say, and no outfits that seemed worth the trouble of posting.

All of the reasons why it has been difficult for me to begin this blog are also the reasons it must be done. I believe that fashion affects everyone and that everyone participates in fashion. That fashion is not the exclusive province of the young, the slim, the wealthy, or the genetically blessed. I believe this because I’m none of these things, but also because I see the impulse towards adornment, in some form, in almost everyone.

I’m undertaking this project in order to highlight what I believe about fashion and personal style. I believe that our choices help the world to see who we are. And I believe that it takes work and discipline and thought and savvy to develop and maintain personal style. I’m in my forties, I’m overweight, I’m a graduate student living in a small town (with all the budgetary restrictions that go along with studenthood.) And I have the audacity to believe that I am every bit as entitled to indulge in and enjoy fashion as a twenty year old stylehound with a label filled wardrobe and razor sharp cheekbones.

I’ve never been a beauty, but there have been times over the years when I’ve been pretty stylish. This, unfortunately is not really one of those times. I haven’t been happy with the way I look for a while. This blog is my chronicle of my moving towards a style, an image, and a reflection in the mirror with which I am really, truly and honestly happy. I want the world to see me at what I believe is my best.


This is, of course, easier said than done. These first outfit photos have taken the wind out of my sails a bit. It was all I could do not to go upstairs and change into a sweatshirt and jeans after seeing them.


But that would negate the whole purpose of doing this. So I stuck it out. My outfits will get better, my photos will get better, and my blog will get better as I go on. This is what I looked like today. And I'm okay with that. 


blue dress: gap
black long sleeve undershirt: gap body
black tights: not sure
black wedge over-the-knee boots: lucky brand via piperlime
rhinestone star belt: bebe (years ago)

No comments:

Post a Comment