Thursday, December 8, 2011

Thrifted houndstooth skirt and cashmere sweater.

Today I'm participating in Thursdays are for Thrifters at Spunky Chateau.


I'm making a big effort to participate in all kinds of things lately.  For the better part of a year I've been blogging quietly away here, lurking on other blogs, not really taking advantage of all the internet has to offer in the way of communication, interaction and community. When I began this blog I kind of had to force myself to do it. I wanted to do it. Or rather I wanted to want to do it. For me it was a bit like going to the gym- you do it because you feel you should do it, because you know that it's good for you, and you hope that one day you actually will enjoy it if you keep at it, and sometimes you feel good after you do it, but it's not like it's something you really look forward to doing. But I've gotten better at it (blogging that is, I still almost never work out.) I'm starting to love it and look forward to it. I'm starting to think of myself as a blogger. I'm starting to tell people about my blog and I'm starting to reach out to other bloggers I admire. (Hello, ladies!) Finally participating has increased my enjoyment tremendously. If you're reading this post because you followed my link from Spunky Chateau and you're a lonely, shy blogger like me, not sure whether you should link up, take it from me, YOU SHOULD.


This outfit is the result of me attempting to combine some thrifted pieces with some items that I haven't posted before. I mentioned that I was trying to feature every item in my current, wearable  wardrobe on the blog before the end of the year. It's not like I'm going to get rid of those things that don't make it in before the deadline but I guess I'm going to have to think pretty seriously about why I'm keeping any pieces that couldn't be included in a photographable, blogworthy outfit in a year.


This black cashmere pullover was thrifted a couple years ago. It's really rare that I find cashmere sweaters at the thrift store in colors that I can wear. Nine times out of ten any cashmere I find is in a tannish camel color that makes my hair and, more disturbing, my skin take on an unappealing yellow-green color. This sweater is a little big (the sleeves are too long for me) but otherwise it's wonderful. It's much better quality cashmere than any of the sweaters I've purchased new, in spite of being made in China, which most cashmere aficionados warn is usually a bad sign. It's super thick and cushy, hardly pills, and washes very well. I suppose that means it might not actually be cashmere at all, but the tags says it is and it sure feels wonderful.


Because the sweater is a little big, it's perfect for pairing with this thrifted houndstooth skirt, which is a little small. That's the beauty of thrifting, right? Making it all work?  Because it fits very snug and high the skirt is a little shorter than I'd normally wear but I think the big sweater and tights balance it all out. The hat is another of Wayne Wichern's, and it's one of the things I don't think I've shown on the blog yet.


3 comments:

  1. I'm dyyyying over those shoes.
    So glad you're getting more out of blogging now. Since I've recently revealed myself (super self-consious)and started linking up I too have found so much more enjoyment in this little hobby of mine. I did have just the thrill of thrifting, which was great, but now...to finally realize there are other fabulous ladies out there I can relate to and admire their great style, sense of humour, and little stories about their daily lives has added so much to the experience. It's a virtual blogging sisterhood! Yea us!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love the shoes. The whole outfit is very lovely. Very nice jewelry. It is fun to participate on different blogs. There are so many lovely ladies in the blog world who inspire me. I can see you are going to be on that list for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sweater is a fabulous find and I love the shoes too. So glad you could stop by and link up!
    -Meagan
    www.spunkychateau.com

    ReplyDelete