Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Sailing Ships and Silver Bullets.

My to do list for today includes cleaning the house to receive two sets of overnight guests this week, washing and hanging multiple loads of laundry, and getting my hair done. The cleaning is more tidying and dusting and vacuuming than scouring and scrubbing (that comes tomorrow) so I'm not wearing the bleach scarred T-shirt and sweat pants I'd usually don for a major cleaning spree. You will never see those on this blog.


I like everything about this skirt except the length, which almost completely ruins it for me. It's not so insurmountable a flaw that I won't wear the skirt but every time I do wear it I wish with all my might that it will (somehow, someway) be longer. And, as you might expect, it remains too short. But it has sailing ships and nautical maps and decorative top stitching and rick-rack trim (at the waistband, under my T-shirt) and all these are very good things, even if showing my knees isn't.

This slightly crazy expression is due to Chris getting annoyed with me blinking while he was taking photos.

The necklace, which I affectionately call my bullet-butt necklace ('cause it's the bottom of a bullet) was a gift. My sister-in-law was wearing a similar necklace that I admired. Her's is a different bullet, I think, but you couldn't prove it by me. I'm no ballistics expert. I was lucky enough to receive my own for Christmas because I was pretty vocal in my admiration of my sister-in-law's necklace. You might say I was hinting up a storm for my own, adorable, silver bullet necklace. I wore the necklace constantly when I got it and then Gabrielle Giffords was shot. And suddenly bullets didn't seem quite as adorable any more. I still loved my necklace- to me it was more of a fashion statement than a political statement. I was thinking about the juxtaposition of sweet and tough symbolism and of True Blood style defense against werewolves, not actual people being slaughtered and maimed. But that was what was foremost in people's minds at the time and I wasn't willing to risk being misunderstood and causing offense.


The bullet itself is not actually silver. It's made from whatever it is that bullets are normally made of, which is obviously not silver or silver bullets would just be called bullets. But the necklace itself is silver. And adorable. And, hopefully, not offensive to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment